Friday, June 12, 2009

Homemade Laundry Soap


Yes, you can make your own laundry soap! I have not compared the price to buying my Gain liquid, but someone told me it comes out to a penny a load. It is easy to do and the ingredients are tried and true laundry helpers from years past- Borax, washing soda, and Fels-Naptha laundry bar soap. My picture shows the amount I got when I was done. Here is the recipe:
1/3 bar Fels-Naptha (I used 1/2 bar)
1/2 Cup Arm and Hammer washing soda
1/2 Cup Borax

(You can use any bar soap if you wish but I think this one is best. Some grocers carry it and some hardware stores can get it. Just ask. Octagon is another old laundry bar that can be used too.)

You need a small bucket about 2 gallon size.

Grate the Fels-Naptha into a pan and add 6 cups of water. Bring to a boil and dissolve completely. Add the washing soda and borax and stir until all dissolved. Remove from heat. Pour 4 cups hot water into the bucket and add soap mixture as you stir it well. Add 1 gallon plus 6 cups of water and stir again. I poured it into my old laundry soap containers and saved the rest in the bucket until I need it. You have to shake the laundry soap bottle before each use because the soap turns to a gel. Use 1/2 cup per load. It is low suds soap so do not expect a lot of suds. I have heard that you can add some oil scents to it if you want a scented soap.

I am keeping the ingredients for this soap in my food storage supply for use someday if we need it.

No comments: