Saturday, June 27, 2009

Mommy's Flowers


Being here in Florida visiting my mom is a time that is special to me. She is 86 now. She still likes the simple things that seem to cheer her up. I try to think of those things and help her to have them around our talk to her about them. One thing she likes a lot is roses. She has a Don Juan rose bush in her front yard and she loves to have someone bring one in and put it in a little vase for her to enjoy. She comments on it often. When I was a child in Michigan, my mom grew a lot of roses in our backyard. June is her birth month and roses are the flower for June. They remind me of her whenever I see them. She bought me a Don Juan rose too, and I have it growing at my front door in North Carolina. Joanne has one in her yard too. The other day I brought one in and she has really enjoyed it every day.
This picture is her rose and a hibiscus from the yard that I put by a picture of my mom and her mom, my Grandma Jennie, and my mom's father. Grandma Jennie's birthday is in June too, so how nice is that!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Stopping by from SITS. Roses remind me of my grandparents. Isn't it wonderful how people can pass on a love for the things that are so simple and beautiful, so we don't forget it and take it for granted? What beautiful thoughts you shared, and I love your blog! I think you are amazing to raise 12 children! I want 7 but probably wont be able to have that many as I got started a bit later in life, but here's hoping for twins or more! :)

Dumb Mom said...

Mom of 12?! You are officially my new hero. You're right up there w/my grandma who had 8. And, her's are all boys so she gets extra points. Thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday:)